top of page
SANDHILLS CATTLE ASSOCIATION
By-Laws as Amended by the Membership in June 2023
Article I: Title, Location, and Purpose
• Section 1: The name of the organization is SANDHILLS CATTLE ASSOCIATION.
• Section 2: The principal office of the Association shall be located wherever determined by the Board of Directors.
• Section 3: The Association is organized for the purpose of promoting quality Sandhills
cattle, the land, its people and their way of life; to foster the improvement and education in
the cattle ranching business; to enhance the marketing of cattle; to improve access
between producers and feeders/buyers; and to promote a spirit of cooperation, pride and
mutual understanding among producers of Sandhills cattle.
• Section 4: The term Sandhills as used herein shall be mean all of the area historically
known as the Sandhills region of Nebraska, and such other adjacent territory as may be
determined by the Board of Directors of this Association.
Article II: Membership, Fees, and Dues
• Section 1: Any party engaged or interested in the production of beef cattle is eligible for
membership subject to approval by the Board of Directors.
• Section 2: There shall be five classes of members (1) Producer (2) Associate, (3)
Corporate, (4) Partnership, (5) Affiliate Feed Yard. Annual dues for all members shall be
determined by the Board of Directors. Only beef cattle producers (individuals or firms) are
eligible for producer membership. Only producer (All) members may vote in the affairs of
the Association. (Producer members) and shall have advertising and listing privileges in the
Sandhills Feeder Cattle News and Annual Directory. The remaining classifications of
members may be individuals or firms interested in the purpose of this Association. They
shall pay annual dues, which shall be determined by the Board of Directors.
• Section 3: The Board of Directors may expel a member who deals unfairly with the
Association or any purchaser. An appeal may be taken by such a member at the Annual
Meeting of the Association.
Article III… Board of Directors and Executive Committee
• Section 1: The property, funds, and policies of the Association shall be controlled by a board of not
less than eleven (11) directors, all of whom must be members in good standing with the Association.
• Section 2: The Board of Directors may establish districts and recommend the number of
directors to be elected from each district.
• Section 3: Regular meetings of the Board of Directors shall be held from time to time as
the Board of Directors may, by resolution, determine. (The Board of Directors shall hold at least one meeting annually.)
• Section 4: Special meetings of the Board of Directors may be called by the executive
committee or by members of the board on ten (10) days notice to each member of the board.
• Section 5: Meetings of the Board of Directors shall be held at the home office, via
conference call, or at any other location designated by the Executive Committee.
• Section 6: Members present at any regular meeting or at a special meeting of six (6)
members of the Board of Directors shall be considered a quorum for the transaction of business.
• Section 7: Board of Directors terms shall be limited to two elected, three-year terms. In
the event that the President is elected in the sixth year of his/her term, they shall remain on the Executive Committee for one year.)
Article IV… Officers
• Section 1: The officers of the Association shall be a president, vice president and
treasurer. They (The Officers) shall be elected by a majority vote of the members of the
Association who are present for the election. The officers shall be elected from among the
producer members (Board of Directors) and such officers shall serve for a period of one
year and/or until their successors are elected and qualified. In case of death, resignation or
disqualification of any officer of the Association, the Board of Directors shall elect a successor to serve the unexpired term.
• Section 2: The officers of the Association and the immediate past president of the
Association shall constitute the Executive Committee of the Association. The Executive
Committee shall employ a manager of the Association to be in direct charge of the home
office and who shall also be known as secretary of the Association.
• Section 3: The president shall be the chief executive officer of the Association. He (The
President) shall preside at all membership meetings. He (The President) shall, with the
manager, sign all written contracts and obligations of the Association which have been
approved by the Board of Directors or the Executive Committee. He (The President) shall,
by and with the consent of the other members of the Executive Committee, appoint such
committees as the Board of Directors or the Executive Committee may authorize and
he(/she may) shall be an ex-officio member of all committees.
• Section 4: In the absence of the president, the vice president shall have the powers and
shall perform the duties of the president and such other duties as may be prescribed by the
Board of Directors and the Executive Committee.
• Section 5: The treasurer of the Association shall examine the books of the Association
from time to time, and at any time requested by the Board of Directors or the Executive
Committee and shall report on such examination to the Board of Directors. The treasurer
shall be responsible for an annual (a periodic) audit being made by a qualified auditor or an
annual compilation of books being made by a committee of at least three (3) reliable
persons who are not officers of the Association, and shall present this audit to the Board of
Directors. The treasurer shall be responsible for the disbursement of all monies of the
Association and shall be responsible for the bonds or other investments of the Association.
All checks of the Association account shall be signed by the manager and treasurer or as
ordered by the Board of Directors of the Association.
• Section 6: The Association shall maintain a bond as directed by the Executive Committee.
• Section 7: Beginning at fiscal year, any records past five (seven) years old may be
reviewed and discarded by approval of Executive Committee.
Article V… Meetings of Members
• Section 1: Regular annual meetings of the Association shall be held at a time and place
designated by the Board of Directors. Notice of all such meetings shall be mailed
(distributed) to all members a reasonable number of days before the date of such meeting.
• Section 2: Special meetings of the members may be held at any time upon written call of
the Board of Directors. A call or notice of special meetings shall indicate the purpose
thereof and shall be mailed (distributed) to all members of the Association at least ten (10) days before the date of the meeting.
• Section 3: At any regular or special meeting each producer (all) member(s) present and in good standing shall be entitled to vote.
Article VI… Elections
• Section 1: The Executive Committee shall appoint a nominating committee of at least
three (3) at least sixty (60) days prior to the annual meeting whose duty it will be to nominate a Board of Directors and officers.
• Section 2: The members of the Board of Directors shall be elected by a majority vote of
members of the Association, who are present for the election. Election of officers and
directors shall take place at an open membership meeting. Directors shall serve a period of
three (3) years and/or until their successors are elected and qualified. In the case of death,
resignation or disqualification in the membership of the Board of Directors, a majority of the
board, at a regular or special meeting, shall fill the vacancy for the unexpired term.
• Section 3: The president shall declare the result of the election.
Article VII… Mailing Lists
• Section 1: Any requests for the mailing list of either the Sandhills Feeder Cattle News or
the Sandhills Cattle News by any individual, organization or company, shall be governed by
the following policy: The Sandhills Cattle Association will not allow these lists out of the
office into the hands of said persons. However, the work may be done by the office
personnel for a set fee by the approval of the manager and the president.
Article VIII… Amendments
• Section 1: Any by-laws may be repealed, modified, altered amended or new by-laws
adopted at regular or special meetings of the producer members by a two-thirds (2/3) vote
of those present provided that notice of such change shall be given by mail to each
producer member of the Association ten (10) days in advance.
bottom of page