Mon, Sep 20|
Grab your buddies and your smoker...we're having a good ol' fashioned BBQ cookoff!
Time & Location
Sep 20, 2021, 7:00 AM – 6:00 PM CDT
Valentine, 120 S Green St # 9, Valentine, NE 69201, USA
About the Event
- The Sandhills Cattle Association’s Cookoff Contest is a fundraising event for the Association. Funds raised will be used for promotional and educational programs. The tournament is open to all interested persons regardless of experience and is meant to be a fun and friendly networking event!
- Check-in will be Sunday night September 19, 2021, @ 6 p.m. at the Cherry County Fairgrounds. At that time we will go over the rules and everyone will draw for their choice piece of meat. All contestants may leave Sunday night, but the meat must be cooked at the fairgrounds.
- Teams will consist of one Chief Cook, and up to two assistants. Each team will provide their own grill/cooker to be used exclusively by that team within the confines of the team’s assigned cooking space. No holes or dug pits are permitted.
- The entry fee will be $50.00 and must be received by September 3, 2021, with the complete registration form. No refunds will be issued after September 3, 2021.
- The fee for electricity will be an additional $10.00. Any generators must be quiet operating.
- Each team will receive a space to cook in. Vehicles must be parked outside of the cooking area. Small “easy up” style tents or umbrellas are permitted for shade.
- This year’s choice meat will be beef brisket, as well as other meats to be determined. Meats will be provided by the Sandhills Cattle Association thanks to event sponsors. ONLY the provided meat will be allowed for the contest.
- You will be asked to also provide a side dish to serve 15-20 people. Side dishes will be judged by the public for the People's Choice side dish.
- Each team will bring their own seasonings/sauces and cooking equipment. Sauces are permitted but the flavor of the meat is being judged not the sauce. Over saucing may cause a reduction in placement.
- Two containers will be handed out prior to submission time which is 5 pm, Monday (one for each beef meat). Anything placed in the container that identifies your team will cause your entry to be not be scored.
- All samples must be delivered to the judging check-in table located in front of the 4-H Building at 5:00 p.m. Monday evening. At that time you will pick a number and it will be written on your sample containers, contest assistants will deliver the containers to the judges.
- After checking in your samples, the remainder of the meat is to be pulled or sliced and will be served with the side dishes provided by you for a donation meal served by the Sandhills Cattle Association during the judging process. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.
- Entries will be judged by a judging team. They will be scored in the area of Appearance, Tenderness/Texture, and Taste.
- Contestants must adhere to all electrical, fire, health, and other codes whether local, county, state, or federal.
- Each cookoff team is responsible for keeping the contest area clean and policed before leaving.
- Any questions, please contact Elysabeth Kierl at 402-376-2310.
- Ticket type
Teams consist of one head chef and up to two assistants.Price$50.00